17 September 2008: Canon
today announces its new flagship PowerShot
compact digital camera: the PowerShot G10
. Replacing the PowerShot G9, the PowerShot G10 is the first G-series camera to offer wide-angle imaging via a 5x (28mm) zoom with optical Image Stabilizer. The addition of a 14.7 Megapixel sensor and Canon’s new DIGIC 4 image processor ensures exacting image quality.
High quality, wide angle lens
With a 5x wide-angle (28mm) optical zoom lens, the PowerShot G10 combines outstanding wide-angle capabilities – making it perfect for landscapes, architecture or interiors – with the telephoto reach needed for flexible composition. Sharp, blur-free shots throughout the zoom range are assured by Canon’s optical
Image Stabilizer, which offers enhanced performance via a 4-stop advantage.14.7 Megapixel resolution with RAW
A 14.7 Megapixel CCD sensor – the highest resolution of any PowerShot model – works in combination with Canon’s new DIGIC 4 processor, for uncompromising images that combine high detail with extremely low noise levels. Such outstanding detail allows printing in sizes of up to A2, or creative cropping in post-processing.
For the ultimate in post-processing control, the PowerShot G10 includes a RAW shooting mode – plus support for Canon Digital Photo Professional software, for integration into professional photographers’ workflows.DIGIC 4 for exceptional images
Canon’s new DIGIC 4 image processor uses improved algorithms and calculation accuracy, allowing the PowerShot G10 to deliver two major advantages: ultra-fast operation, and rich, low-noise images with outstanding clarity and colour reproduction.
DIGIC 4 also powers several intelligent onboard features. Canon’s new i-Contrast feature increases the dynamic range in images to bring out previously unnoticed detail in dark areas, like shadows – without blowing out lighter areas. Canon’s anti-blur solution combats blur caused by camera shake and subject motion using a range of technologies: optical Image Stabilizer, Motion Detection Technology and Auto ISO Shift, plus new Servo AF – which, when engaged, continually adjusts focus on a subject moving towards or away from the camera.Designed for more
With a range-leading resolution of 461k dots, a large 3.0” PureColor LCD II allows easy framing and ultra-detailed review of every shot; this is complemented by improved colour rendition and an exceptionally wide viewing angle. For immediate, fingertip access to key settings, the PowerShot G10 includes a new dedicated Exposure Compensation dial and dual ISO/shooting mode dial.Complete accessory system
A comprehensive accessory system now includes support for Canon’s Macro Ring Lite and Macro Twin Lite, which offer powerful new possibilities for close-up shots and other creative photography. New compatibility with the Remote Switch RS60-E3 allows easy shutter release when shooting with a tripod.
“Like no other compact camera, the PowerShot G10 delivers the power to excel,” commented Mogens Jensen, Head of Canon Consumer Imaging Europe. “It will appeal not only to photo enthusiasts, but also to professionals seeking a powerful, compact addition to their kitbag.”Features at a glance:
- 14.7 Megapixel CCD sensor
- 5x wide-angle (28mm) optical zoom lens with optical Image Stabilizer
- RAW image recording plus support for Canon Digital Photo Professional
- DIGIC 4 for clear, sharp images, high-speed AF (including Servo AF) and fast response times
- Targets all the main causes of blur with High ISO Auto, optical Image Stabilizer, Motion Detection Technology and Auto ISO shift
- Great people shots with improved Face Detection AF/AE/FE/WB plus Face Select & Track and FaceSelf-Timer
- 3.0” PureColor LCD II (461k dots resolution) with wide viewing angle and optical viewfinder
- i-Contrast boosts brightness and retains detail in dark areas
- Dedicated Exposure Compensation and ISO dials
- 26 shooting modes with manual control and custom settings
- Accessories include tele-converter, Speedlite flashes and waterproof case
- Smooth, 30fps VGA moviesCanon PowerShot G10 Features and Specifications