The D700 extends Nikon’s range of FX format SLRs, incorporating groundbreaking technologies and performance into a discreetly-sized body. The highly sensitive 12.1 megapixel CMOS sensor provides an (extendable) ISO range of 200 to 6400 and features a self-cleaning dust-reduction unit. Its EXPEED image processing engine enables the capture of images with superb detail and tonal gradation at up to 5 fps (8 fps with the optional MB-D10 battery pack and EN-EL4a battery).
Nikon D700 Features and Specifications
The D700 extends Nikon’s range of FX format SLRs, incorporating groundbreaking technologies and performance into a discreetly-sized body. The highly sensitive 12.1 megapixel CMOS sensor provides an (extendable) ISO range of 200 to 6400 and features a self-cleaning dust-reduction unit. Its EXPEED image processing engine enables the capture of images with superb detail and tonal gradation at up to 5 fps (8 fps with the optional MB-D10 battery pack and EN-EL4a battery). The advanced Scene Recognition System delivers superior exposures and is supported by Nikon’s acclaimed 51-point AF system, which offers outstanding tracking accuracy even in low light. The selectable Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing, saving time in post-production, and a high definition 3-inch LCD screen supports two Live View modes plus an HDMI video output. Protected by a tough, environmentally-sealed magnesium alloy body, the D700 is a perfectly-balanced DSLR that can handle the unexpected, wherever your photography takes you.
- 12.1 megapixel FX (full-frame) CMOS sensor with high signal-to-noise ratio, wide dynamic range, and built-in self-cleaning sensor unit that minimizes dust.
- ISO 200 – 6400: extendable up to 25600 (equivalent) and down to ISO 100 (equivalent).
- 5fps continuous shooting (8fps with optional MB-D10 battery pack with lithium-ion battery EN-EL4a or 8 AA batteries).
- EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb detail and tonal gradation.
- Advanced Scene Recognition System combines the camera’s metering and AF sensors for precise exposures and sharply defined images.
- Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point AF system. Individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings.
- Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing by enabling the pre-set customization of image parameters such as sharpening, contrast, brightness, hue and saturation in various color modes.
- 920,000 dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide, 170-degree viewing angle.
- Live View with Autofocus enables composition of images by use of the LCD monitor. Two modes are supported: Handheld or Tripod.
- DX Crop Mode can be automatically enabled when a DX format lens is attached.
- Quick response: approx. 40 ms shutter-lag.
- Active D-Lighting enables superior high-contrast images by automatically applying tone compensation at the moment of capture.
- HDMI video output interface enables connection to high-definition video systems.
- Intuitive ergonomics with optimized button placement for fast and comfortable handling.
- Durable Magnesium alloy body: moisture and dust resistant.
- Wireless LAN and Ethernet support via optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4.
Single-lens reflex digital camera
Nikon F bayonet mount with AF coupling and AF contacts
Equivalent to angle produced by lens focal length (1.5 times when DX format is selected)
CMOS sensor, 36.0 x 23.9 mm; Nikon FX format
Image sensor self-cleaning function, Image Dust Off reference data acquisition (Capture NX 2 required)
Image Size (pixels)
- FX format (36 x 24) : 4,256 x 2,832 (L), 3,184 x 2,120 (M), 2,128 x 1,416 (S)
- DX format (24 x 16) : 2,784 x 1,848 (L), 2,080 x 1,384 (M), 1,392 x 920 (S)
- NEF (RAW): 12 or 14 bit, lossless compressed, compressed, or uncompressed
- TIFF (RGB)
- JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1:4), normal (approx. 1:8), or basic (approx. 1:16) compression ([Size priority]); [Optimal quality] compression available
- NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
Picture Control System
Four setting options: Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome; each option can be adjusted
CompactFlash (Type I, compliant with UDMA)
Compliant with DCF 2.0, DPOF, Exif 2.21, Pictbridge
SLR-type with fixed eye-level pentaprism
3 to +1 m-1
18 mm (-1.0 m-1)
Type B BriteView Clear Matte VI screen with superimposed AF points and framing grid lines
Approx. 95% (vertical/horizontal)
Approx. 0.72x (50mm f/1.4 lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1)
When CPU lens is attached, lens aperture can be stopped down to value selected by user (A and M modes) or value selected by camera (P and S modes)
Instant-return type, with depth-of-field preview button
- DX AF Nikkor: All functions supported
- Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported (PC Micro-Nikkor does not support some functions). IX Nikkor lenses not supported.
- Other AF Nikkor: All functions supported except 3D Color Matrix Metering II. Lenses for F3AF not supported.
- AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II
- Non-CPU AI Nikkor: Can be used in exposure modes A and M; electronic rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster; Color Matrix Metering and aperture value display supported if user provides lens data
Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter
1/8,000 to 30 s in steps of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV, Bulb, X250
Flash Sync Speed
X = 1/250 s; synchronizes with shutter at 1/320 s or slower (flash range drops at speeds between 1/250 and 1/320 s)
Continuous Shooting Speed
- With Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e: 1-5 frames per second in [CL] mode, 5 fps in [CH] mode
- With Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D10 with batteries other than Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e or AC Adapter EH-5a/EH-5: 1-7 frames per second in [CL] mode, 8 fps in [CH] mode
Electronically controlled timer with duration of 2, 5, 10 or 20 s
TTL full-aperture exposure metering using 1,005-pixel RGB sensor
1) 3D Color Matrix Metering II (type G and D lenses); Color Matrix Metering II (other CPU lenses); Color Matrix Metering (non-CPU lenses if user provides lens data)
2) Center-Weighted: Weight of 75% given to 8-, 12-, 15- or 20-mm circle in center of frame, or weighting based on average of entire frame
3) Spot: Meters 4-mm circle (about 1.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used)
1) 0 to 20 EV (Matrix or Center-Weighted Metering), 2) 2 to 20 EV (Spot Metering) (ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens, at 20°C/68°F)
Exposure Meter Coupling
Combined CPU and AI
Exposure Modes 1) Programmed Auto (P) with flexible program, 2) Shutter-Priority Auto (S), 3) Aperture-Priority Auto (A), 4) Manual (M)
±5 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV
Exposure locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
Exposure and/or flash bracketing (2 to 9 exposures in increments of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV)
Sensitivity ISO 200 to 6400 in steps of 1/3, 1/2, or 1 EV; can be set to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, or 1 (ISO 100 equivalent) EV below ISO 200, or to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 1 (ISO 12800 equivalent), or 2 (ISO 25600 equivalent) EV over ISO 6400
Can be selected from [Auto], [High], [Normal], or [Low]
TTL phase-detection AF, 51 focus points (15 cross-sensors) by Nikon Multi-CAM 3500FX autofocus module; Detection: -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100 at 20°C/68°F); AF fine tuning possible; AF-assist illuminator (range approx. 0.5-3 m/1.6-9.8 ft.)
1) Autofocus: Single-servo AF (S); Continuous-servo AF (C); Focus Tracking automatically activated according to subject status, 2) Manual focus (M) with electronic rangefinder
Single AF point can be selected from 51 or 11 focus points
1) Single-point AF, 2) Dynamic-area AF [number of AF points: 9, 21, 51, 51 (3D-Tracking)], 3) Auto-area AF
Focus can be locked by pressing AE-L/AF-L button or by pressing shutter-release button halfway (Single-point AF in AF-S)
Manual pop-up type; guide number of 17/56 (ISO 200, m/ft., 20°C/68°F) or 12/39 (ISO 100, m/ft., 20°C/68°F)
1) TTL flash control with 1,005-pixel RGB sensor; i-TTL balanced fill-flash and standard i-TTL fill-flash available with SB-900, 800, 600 or 400
2) Auto aperture (AA): Available with SB-900, 800 and CPU lens
3) Non-TTL auto (A): Available with SB-900, 800, 28, 27 or 22s
4) Distance-priority manual (GN): Available with SB-900, 800
-3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV
Lights when Speedlight such as SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, SB-80DX, SB-28DX, or SB-50DX is fully charged; blinks after flash is fired at full output
Standard ISO 518 hot-shoe contact with safety lock
ISO 519 standard terminal
Nikon Creative Lighting System
With Speedlights such as SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, SB-R200, or SU-800 (commander only), supports Advanced Wireless Lighting, Auto FP High-Speed Sync, Flash Color Information Communication, modeling flash and FV lock; built-in flash can be used as a commander
- Auto (TTL white balance with main image sensor and 1,005-pixel RGB sensor);
- Seven manual modes can be preset with fine-tuning; color temperature setting; white balance bracketing: 2 to 9 exposures in increments of 1, 2 or 3
- Hand-held mode: TTL phase-detection AF with 51 focus areas (15 cross-type sensors)
- Tripod mode: Contrast-detect AF on a desired point within a specific area
3-in., approx. 920,000-dot (VGA), 170-degree wide-viewing-angle, 100% frame coverage, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment
Full-frame and thumbnail (4 or 9 images) playback with playback zoom, slide show, histogram display, highlight display, auto image rotation, and image comment (up to 36 characters)
NTSC or PAL; simultaneous playback from both the video output and on the LCD monitor available
Supports HDMI version 1.3a; Type C mini connector is provided; simultaneous playback from both the HDMI output terminal and on the LCD monitor not available
1) GPS: NMEA 0183 (Ver. 2.01 and 3.01) interface standard supported with 9-pin D-sub cable and GPS Cable MC-35 (optional)
2) Remote control: via Ten-pin terminal
Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e
Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D10 (optional) with one Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4a/EN-EL4 (battery chamber cover BL-3 required) or EN-EL3e, or eight R6/AA-size alkaline (LR6), Ni-MH (HR6), lithium (FR6) batteries, or nickel-manganese (ZR6) batteries
AC Adapter EH-5a/EH-5 (optional)
1/4 in. (ISO 1222)
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 147 x 123 x 77 mm/5.8 x 4.8 x 3.0 in.
Approx. 995 g/2.19 lb. without battery, memory card, body cap or LCD monitor cover
Go to top
Under 85% (no condensation)
Supplied Accessories *
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e, Quick Charger MH-18a, USB Cable UC-E4, Video Cable EG-D100, Camera Strap AN-D700, Body Cap BF-1A, Accessory Shoe Cover BS-1, LCD Monitor Cover BM-9, Software Suite CD-ROM
*Supplied accessories may differ depending on country or area
Main Optional Accessories
Wireless Transmitter WT-4, Magnifying Eyepiece DK-17M, AC Adapter EH-5a, Capture NX 2 Software, Camera Control Pro 2 Software, Image Authentication Software
Check out The Nikon D700 Video Review by DigitalRev.com on YouTube!